Sandwiches are a great, quick, portable meal that can be filling & delicious! But by the time most of us reach adulthood, we’ve eaten so many PB&Js & turkey sandwiches, that the thought of another cold sandwich doesn’t exactly excite us!
For that reason, anytime that I get a chance to dress a sandwich up, I try to do it! That’s how this Turkey Pesto Panini recipe started.
Growing up, my mom made grilled turkey and cheese sandwiches (essentially a grilled cheese with turkey). Now my kids & husband love these sandwiches (I do too), but sometimes I want a little something extra, so I threw in a few additional ingredients that turn these Turkey pesto paninis into a delicious meal!
I used to make these in a regular skillet or on a griddle (& you certainly can too), but if you want a panini, you can use a indoor grill, panini press or even a grill pan! I have a panini press similar to this one (I even use it to grill chicken!).
How to Make A Turkey Pesto Panini
A panini is a grilled sandwich that has meat, cheese & traditionally italian bread. Most paninis have grill marks from a grill or panini press, and they are cut diagonally (which I didn’t know until after taking my pics! Oops!).
It’s a real treat to sit down to a warm, flavorful sandwich like this one!
Start out with a good, rustic bread & spread butter on one side of each slice. I use thinly sliced turkey & mozzarella or provolone cheese (preferably sliced cheese). Baby spinach & red onion make the sandwiches look & taste fresh & delicious! This is a perfect combination for a yummy sandwich!
Turkey Pesto Panini
- panini press, grill pan or griddle
- 8 slices rustic bread of choice
- 2 tbsp salted butter, softened
- 8 oz deli turkey, sliced very thinly
- 4 slices provolone or mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves tough stems removed
- 2 tbsp basil pesto
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup red onion, sliced thinly
- Warm grill pan or panini press or low to medium heat.
- Spread softened butter on 1 side of the bread.
- Mix pesto & mayo together & spread up to 1/2 tbsp on 4 slices of bread.
- Layer onion, cheese, spinach, turkey & the other piece of bread on top of the first piece.
- Place on the grill & toast until bread is lightly toasted/brown.
- Remove from press or pan & serve warm.
What I love about these sandwiches is that they are so easy, but still seem special! Enjoy these turkey pesto paninis as a quick dinner with roasted potatoes! Warm up leftover sandwiches for a nice lunch treat. Or even serve them for a lunch with friends along with pasta salad, fruit, & strawberry lemonade!
Have you tried this recipe for turkey pesto paninis? What did you think? Share in the comments below!