It may be an apple for the teacher, but it’s apple muffins with brown sugar streusel topping for the kids this new school year! (Check out my full First Day of School breakfast with printables here).
Finding a breakfast that you feel good about serving your kids and that they will actually eat can be a real challenge. That’s why I’m always on the lookout for a good recipe!!
I also love serving my children a delicious, homemade breakfast that is chocked full of good-for-them ingredients (remember my medley muffins?)! These apple muffins definitely deliver on all of those things! And what better way to send your kids off on a new school year than with apple muffins (and an awesome First Day of School Breakfast!).
Apples, oats and the optional dried cranberries and pecan make these muffins irresistable! The oats & apples both add fiber which means a more filling start to your kiddos day. And these apple muffins are simple to make! They can even be made ahead of time and frozen (one of my favorite tricks to having homemade breakfasts on hand)!
Here are a few of my favorite kitchen tools for muffins:
- Wilton Muffin Pan- These pans cool quickly & you don’t loose half of your muffin in the pan! (I have the 12 count regular muffin size).
- Parchment Muffin Liners– These liners are awesome, you can make large muffins and they look so impressive witht the parchment around the top!
Apple Muffins with Brown Sugar Streusel Topping
- 1 cup apples, shredded
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup oats
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cups sugar I like to use coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries optional
- 1/2 cup pecans optional
Brown Sugar Streusel Topping
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 6 Tbsp butter room temp
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- Mix flour, oats, baking powder, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, mix eggs, sugar, oil, sour cream, vanilla, and shredded apples.
- Slowly add the flour mixture into the egg mixture and mix until well blended.
- Fold in cranberries and pecans if using.
- Scoop batter into muffin tins until cups are about ¾ full (batter does not rise much).
- Mix flour, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon and salt for the streusel topping until crumbly and butter mixed in well.
- Sprinkle each muffin with approximately 1 tablespoon of streusel topping on each muffin and then bake for 15-17 minutes or until starting to brown on the top.
- Remove from oven, after 5 minutes remove muffins from pan and place on a cooling rack.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
What is your go to breakfast on busy school mornings? Do you do anything special as a family for the first day of school? Let me know in the comments below!